The internet has made YouTube an increasingly popular source of information and entertainment. While the platform is known for music videos, vlogs, and funny cat videos, there are also countless educational channels available. Educational YouTube channels can make learning more engaging and fun, as traditional forms of learning like lectures and textbooks can be dry and uninteresting, leading to boredom. Educational videos on YouTube often use engaging visuals and animation to help explain complex concepts, making the learning experience more interactive and exciting. This can be especially helpful for younger children who may struggle to concentrate during traditional forms of learning.
Watching educational YouTube channels can improve retention and understanding of material. Research has shown that people are more likely to retain information when it is presented to them visually and audibly. Educational videos on YouTube often use a combination of visual and auditory stimuli to help explain complex topics, which can be especially helpful for visual learners.
Moreover, educational YouTube channels can provide access to information that may not be available through traditional forms of education. Many channels cover niche topics that may not be covered in standard school curriculums, giving viewers a more well-rounded and comprehensive understanding of the world. Additionally, educational videos can be watched at any time and from any location, providing flexibility and accessibility for people with busy schedules or limited access to educational resources.
However, it is important to note that not all educational videos on YouTube are created equal. It is important to ensure that the sources being used are credible and accurate, as there is a significant amount of misinformation and false information available on the platform. Parents and educators should monitor children’s viewing habits and ensure that they are watching reputable channels that align with their educational goals.
In conclusion, watching educational YouTube channels can provide numerous benefits, including increased engagement, improved retention of information, and access to niche information. Educational YouTube channels can be a valuable tool for learners of all ages, but it is important to be mindful of the sources being used and ensure that the information being presented is accurate and credible.
Below we list and describe some of the best. In terms of finding a good time to do it, long car journeys would be an excellent example of when to make the best of dead time.
The Best Educational YouTube Channels
- Ted-Ed is an online educational platform that offers a vast array of animated videos covering a broad range of subjects, from science to history, to philosophy. With its engaging and informative content, Ted-Ed is an excellent resource for learners of all ages who seek to expand their knowledge and understanding of the world.
- National Geographic Kids is an online educational resource that offers a wealth of engaging and informative content for young learners. With its colorful and interactive platform, kids can explore a wide range of topics, from science and nature to history and culture, while also learning about the importance of conservation and environmental sustainability.
- Kids Learning Tube is an educational YouTube channel that offers fun and engaging videos designed to teach kids about a wide range of subjects, including geography, science, math, and music. With catchy songs and colorful animations, Kids Learning Tube makes learning fun and accessible for children, helping them develop a love for learning.
- Crash Course Kids provides educational videos for kids on various subjects, including science, history, and engineering. The channel uses a fun and engaging approach to teach complex concepts in a simple and understandable way. With its high-quality animations and clear explanations, Crash Course Kids is an excellent resource for kids to learn and explore.
- SciShow Kids focuses on teaching kids about science and technology in a fun and engaging way. With its informative and entertaining videos, SciShow Kids inspires curiosity and critical thinking in children, encouraging them to explore and understand the world around them. The channel is a great resource for parents and educators who want to instill a love of learning in young minds.
- Sesame Street. This iconic children’s show has been entertaining and educating kids for over 50 years. With its lovable characters, catchy songs, and engaging skits, Sesame Street YouTube teaches children important skills like literacy, numeracy, social skills, and emotional intelligence. The show has become a cultural icon and a beloved part of many childhoods.
- Simple History is a YouTube channel that presents history in an engaging and easily digestible format. Using colorful animations and clear narration, Simple History covers various historical events and figures in a straightforward and entertaining way. The channel is an excellent resource for history enthusiasts of all ages, providing a fun and informative way to learn about the past.
- Free School provides a wide range of educational videos on topics like science, history, geography, and more. With its informative and engaging content, Free School makes learning fun and accessible for kids of all ages. The channel is an excellent resource for parents and educators who want to supplement their children’s education with high-quality online resources.
- The Brain Scoop explores the world of natural history and science in a unique and engaging way. Hosted by Emily Graslie, the channel provides a behind-the-scenes look at museum collections and research, as well as informative videos on various topics related to the natural world. With its combination of humor and in-depth knowledge, The Brain Scoop is a fascinating resource for science enthusiasts of all ages.
- BBC, the British broadcaster has a vast trove of educational resources under the banner of ‘bitesize’. As well as the YouTube channel their website has a fantastic range of resources and clips on all subjects for all ages.
Here we look at whether you might allow your child to have a YouTube channel of their own.